Friday, February 10, 2012

Contemplating a trip to the Grocery Store

Why is it that only a few grocery stores have carts designed to accommodate more than one infant/toddler? It is generally how I make my decision of where to shop... honestly. If I am alone with both kids, it's always Crest; where each cart has the capability of restraining both of my children without them having direct access to the groceries. And, many times there is a little car attached to the front-- where they can actually entertain themselves and allow me to shop without total chaos. (not that it ever is completely avoidable) Yes.... I am aware, shoppers with no children... they are bulky and hard at times to maneuver.... but you will deal with it.. just as I do. Come on Walmart--- get some more mommy carts! Most stores only have a few carts per store that have the square thing attached to it where children can sit in and be strapped. I am thankful that mine are a little older now, because putting an infant in it would completely be a no go. How hard would it be to get the carts with seating for two? I just don't know how people with twins under the age of four get by (grocery shopping that is).  I will never understand why they don't make it easier for mommies to shop. After all... we are the shoppers, the makers of lists, the ones who shop the most!

I remember my first trip to the grocery store as a mother of two small children (both under the age of 2). I got out of the car, put Addison in her car seat at the top of the cart, loaded my diaper bags and purse under the cart, unloaded Brayden (who up until this time had always been bubble-protected complete with a cart cover in the top seat) and put down a blanket and put him in the bottom part of the basket. It just didn't feel right.... I stressed about not having every square inch of the cart covered so he couldn't lick it! I kept thinking about all of the germs in a shopping cart. Oh and Chicken.... what if someone didn't wrap their chicken up and it got a hole in it and its chicken juices were in the cart, where I just put my sweet little 17 month old? We really needed food though... I was out of everything... and desperately needed milk and diapers. Tears already rolling down my face, I pushed my cart into the entryway. Then it hit me... CRAP... where do I put all of my groceries?!? I can do this... I know I can do this... It is just a grocery store Tiffany... millions of people make this trip everyday. I started with the diapers. I need these. I will buy the things I can't possibly put off any longer first. I grabbed one case of each size I needed. ( I had diapers in the trunk of my car that needed to be exchanged for a different size for Addison. That mission had been completely aborted in the parking lot. It just wasn't in the cards today...) I stashed one case under the cart with both diaper bags and my purse. The second one wouldn't fit. I had to put it in the cart with Brayden. Okay... it's a box. He can't hurt or open it. It will be ok. And then it happened... he saw me, bending to put them in with him. He wanted me to hold him... and carry him. I tried to not make eye contact with him. (because maybe he would just start playing with the box or something... or if I don't look directly at him, maybe he can't see me). Wrong... so I picked him up. It is really hard to push a heavy cart, that you can't really see over because you aren't tall enough with the car seat on the top, through the isles of walmart. MILK.... if I can just make it to the milk. ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE STORE. So we begin our journey.... and then Addison starts crying. Oh no! I pull over the buggie the best I can. Already there are people who are trying to get around me. I am now in the grocery section, where I am realizing there is no good place to pull over. The diaper area was so much safer feeling and more secluded. Everyone there looked at us nicer. Brayden's meltdown in the diaper section was almost private feeling. The people that did look over gave glances of encouragement. They understood. Only their baby wasn't freaking out at the moment... or they had been lucky enough to make it out of their house alone. NOT in the grocery area. I put Brayden back into the bottom of the cart to make Addison a bottle. Now they are both freaking out. Awesome. I fumbled around trying to get the diaper bag out to make her a bottle. Where on earth is my bottled water? I get out the second diaper bag... by now lots of people are trying to get around me.. or reach behind me for groceries... and EVERYONE is staring. Everyone. I finally pick up and move over into a safer area directly across from grocery... ahh the clothing section. Where people aren't so unforgiving. I make Addison a bottle and try to feed it to her and maneuver us back to the milk. I decided I couldn't hold Brayden and feed Addison. Brayden didn't understand this and continued to cry, despite me throwing every toy I had brought into the cart with him. I can see the milk. The only thing stopping me now was stopping to pick up the toys that Brayden is throwing angrily our of the cart.  I grabbed the first milk I came to. There was no looking over the entire milk section and selecting the one that had the expiration date furthest from today. I then paraded us, (almost all in tears) to the checkout lane. All of the cashiers glanced up from what they were doing as we walk by, giving me the "please not me" look. I paid for the groceries, and had made it to the parking lot. Everyone stopped crying. Brayden giggled from the bumps of the pavement all the way to the car. He had the biggest smile I think I had ever seen him have. Addison was content and sleeping now, still just precious still in all of her newness. I smiled and put them in the car. MISSION COMPLETE.. KIND OF. Wow... what a trip. I called my husband on the way home. I told him I bought milk and diapers, but we still needed to go grocery shopping. I am pretty sure I sent him to the store that night with a list.

My shopping trips nowadays aren't nearly as difficult. Or maybe I am just accustomed to a little bit of chaos. We have our meltdowns from time to time, but we deal with it and move on. I don't care who stares or comments. It is much easier to take someone with you. Single moms.... kudos to you. To always go it alone... you are stronger than I am. I almost always still go to Crest if I am alone. It is just more manageable. I need to go to the store today. I think I will wait until my husband gets home. I have found the easiest method is the two parent, two cart method!

2 comments:

  1. "If I don't look directly at him, maybe he can't see me." Love it, Tiff! Too funny! I've been there too :) I wish Walmart would get the carts that look like regular carts but they have four holes for four little legs. Those are my favorite! Two parent, two cart method is without a doubt the way to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen! I wasn't sure how I was going to like blogging, but I really love it so far! It's like having a diary!

      Delete