Saturday, May 5, 2012

And so we march.....



Today was our first Walk with Brayden with the March of Dimes. I am so humbled by the amount of support that we have received from our friends and family over these last three years. It was honestly the hardest thing that I have ever done! I sit in tears now as I think back to our time of struggle that we went through.... I held them back on and off all day. He is still my little miracle baby, and we were so blessed during all of his hospitalization and journey through all of this. Others aren't as lucky. I knew this throughout everything. I hid tears and being overwhelmed because I felt guilt to cry or be upset when my baby was doing so much better than most babies in his position. I mostly cried because of the knowledge of what exactly we had avoided and what still at any moment could go wrong.

My work family helped me more than they ever could know. I was lucky enough to be hospitalized where I work. They were always there. Through it all.... always asking how we were doing (and genuinely caring), bringing me food while I was on bed rest, bringing Brayden things that a baby should have since we did not have time for a shower. They even threw him a welcoming. I was lucky enough to get to work with such an amazing group of women. Just knowing that if I had a need, someone was there, was a blessing. --- And they prayed for us--- I know it because I prayed with many of them.-- THANK YOU.

The walk was really great. The weather was perfect, and the children were very well behaved! They just were more than happy to be out and about. It really was an awesome feeling to be surrounded by people who were there either because they shared a similar experience, or they were there supporting someone because they cared that much. Thank you to everyone who came to walk with us. It means so much to us. And also thank you to everyone who purchased t-shirts. He has sold 46 so far, and we will be putting in another order soon! I really do want Brayden to grow up knowing why we do this. I want him to know that it is for him, because he went through a lot in his journey, and we were blessed beyond measure to get to keep him!


When you register for the walk for your team, they send you over to the family tent, where you get your balloon. Purple balloons are for survivors and white balloons are for babies lost. I almost burst into tears right there! Then you walk by seeing other walkers with their respected balloons. They walk in memory, while I get to walk in honor... but yet we walk together. It is beyond touching. And again, I felt some guilt that some of those women with their white balloons had to be looking at my baby wondering what theirs would be like now. Here is a picture of Brayden with his purple balloon... because he is a Survivor!! I had never really thought of it in that light before. Sure... I knew that he had survived, and I knew that we could have lost him. But that he was a little fighter, and he took us all on his journey with him. He has taught me more in three years than I could have ever imagined possible.


At the end of the walk you release your balloon. (Brayden didn't really want to let his go, but he finally did) We walked through the finish line and everyone cheered and applauded. Brayden clapped for himself. I just smiled, and was really glad that mommy was wearing sunglasses! I was just overwhelmed with a sense of thankfulness.





Above is a picture of the "March with Boogie" team. Again.... thank you all so much again for coming!! And a picture of Brayden and Daddy marching.  He has come so far!!
Holding Daddy's Finger

Our little man

He was so tiny!!



One more....

















Here is the link to our March of Dimes Page.http://www.marchforbabies.org/s_team_page.asp?seid=1845260&bt=15  There you can donate money, read our story or just learn how you can get involved with the organization. Brayden was born at 29 weeks (almost 3 months too soon) from preeclampsia. We stayed in the NICU for 47 days before we were released. He is now three years old with no delays at all. He is so smart, so loving and so full of life! We have been truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment