Friday, January 13, 2012

Birds

I spent the better part of an hour this morning watching birds from my window. Watching the almost camoflaged wrens and chickadees filtter around eating birdseed from under my one and only tree where I live today. Occasionally there is a Robin, with its splash of color. Then a blue jay flew in and scattered all of the other birds away. I am immediately taken back to my childhood and can almost hear my grandma Virgie telling me about the birds. She loved them. She often painted pictures of them or drew sketches. When we were small she used to have us put peanut butter on pine cones and roll them in birdseed to hang in trees and sit by the window and just wait to see who came to eat. She told us stories about how the plain colored birds were sweet to each other and got along, but blue jays were mean birds, but no one notices because they are so attractive. I try to pretend that she wasn't teaching me a little bit about life that day.. that Grandma was just talking about a bunch of birds. Maybe I should have paid more attention.... but I was young.

No comments:

Post a Comment