Sunday, January 22, 2012

Raising People


I am almost constantly thinking about the upbringing that my children will remember. There... I said it out loud. It is almost overwhelming at times. Every tradition, every family meal, even bad experiences, I worry about what they will "get" out of it. I LOVE my children with all of my heart. I love that people say out loud to "cherish these times" and that "they grow so fast" because it is so very true. I try constantly to be present in every moment. --- not that that always works-- but at least I try and remember. I am not sure when raising children changed so much, but maybe no one was saying it out loud. They are the best thing that has ever happened to me... period. They give my life meaning, and purpose. I want them to remember many of the things that I try so desperately to give them.This is probably the biggest reason that I want to move back. Some of the greatest memories I had as a child were simple walks with my grandpa or just being outside in nature. (things that you can't exactly have where we live right now, and I really don't want them to miss out on them)  One of my greatest fears is that my children will be those adults who blame everything on their childhood. I mean how many people do you know that had messed up childhoods? Please no... not my babies. It amazes me how unfair some children have it. Some parents could not care less what their children's experiences are... even though we have almost complete control over most of it.You can't help but just shake your head sometimes and think " poor thing doesn't have a chance."  Even at work (at the hospital) some children are so protected and love, and others have no one. I want my babies to feel loved, every day. To know how much they mean to me and how much joy they bring to my life. I want them to remember great things from their childhood and wonderful warm loving things about mom and dad and grandma and grandpa etc. I think that many of the things that are wrong with the world are from people not showing their love daily. I believe that God gave us children so that we can experience innocence and unconditional love.

1 comment:

  1. Your words tell me you are one Terrific Mom! Your babies will grow up full of love because you've given them that! It looks like your blog will be a diary of fond memories for you and your children. Good Luck and Happy Blogging!!

    ReplyDelete